After 2020, many healthcare workers will probably want to process and evaluate their career path. Recognizing if your interests still align with your career path is an important step toward knowing where you’re heading in the future. Do you want to advance? Is it time to switch organizations? Are you ready to move up the ladder? Will your current organization allow you to AND promote both your personal and professional growth? Here’s how to evaluate what’s next in your healthcare career.
Asking Hard Questions
Asking yourself the hard questions periodically in your career will help you continue to move forward. The end of the year is naturally a good time to reflect on your career to date. Ask yourself these hard questions to take stock of where you are in your career path:
- Is what you envisioned for yourself coming to fruition?
- What friction is keeping you from achieving your career goals?
- Were there any turning points that you feel led you astray from your original goal?
- What have you learned and what do you want to learn?
We know 2020 has been an unusual year and it’s not over. Are you still fulfilled in your work or are you just making it from day-to-day? Healthcare is still a field that is rife with opportunities; is 2021 the time for you to, at a minimum, explore something new?
Do These Things to Prepare for Advancement
Re-evaluating your career path is the first step toward preparing for some sort of evolution or change. Your interests may have diverged from the path you’re on or you may just be burnt out. Perhaps you want less stress or more work-life balance. One thing is certain—if you have skills in the healthcare field, you are in demand! You have options. But there are a few things you should do to prepare for your next steps.
- Should you add to your existing credentials? Is it the right time to advance to a higher pay scale by adding to your CV? Adding training whenever you can is certainly important for credentialing, but also for increasing the pool of possible jobs you may be qualified for.
- Consider expanding your network by connecting with others in the healthcare field. Whether it’s a recruiter from a firm like UHC Solutions, or a colleague at another facility, there is a network of likeminded professionals out there that can help you advance your career. Or at a minimum, help you see other options.
- Find a mentor to help you advance your career. This could take some work; choose your mentor with care. A strong mentor can connect you with opportunities as well as giving you valuable career or work advice that you can apply to help advance your career.
- Take care of yourself. This year has been hard on everyone, but if you take the time to assess where you are on your career path, you should also take time to take a deep breath and determine what makes you happy in your work.
UHC Solutions works with hundreds of candidates each year just like you who are reassessing what’s next in their career. We can help you find the right opportunity in the right facility to meet your career goals. All you need to do is reach out and start the conversation.
Let’s make 2021 a better year together.